Monday, March 28, 2011

Trust Your Gut

It's time for a new guest blogger.  A new and wonderful guest blogger.  Alfie Toner comes from a perspective yet to be expressed on Next Stop - Baby, the perspective of someone who has actually been pregnant and actually had a baby.  She's a great resource for my outsider point of view.  Expect more to come from this experienced mother and fantastic storyteller.


So, since NextStop-Baby is blogging about smells and vomit...and since I have some small experience...I'm reminded of the sweet memory of my first trimester of my first pregnancy - might I add a much desired and anticipated baby.  It was a beautiful day in early November.  Sunny, brisk and clear.  I felt fabulous for the whole month of October since I found out I was pregnant, but suddenly I was nauseous and exhausted.  Side note: among my very strange friends, one of the common party questions to debate is whether you prefer to be nauseous or throw up?  This is very difficult one for me because I hate both.  But if I have to decide, I choose nauseous.  Ugh.

Anyway, on this early day in November I was nauseous and not happy.  The dad-to-be tried to console - ineffectively since he didn't and couldn't feel this part of the "WE are preggers."  Exasperated he urged me to call my mother.  She genuinely tried to cheer me up by reminding me how much joy this baby would bring, and that it would pass soon.

So, I pulled on an oversized sweater, grabbed an apple to munch along the way, and went for a short walk to the local pond.  I spent a few minutes watching happy moms play with adorable toddlers, and then rushed home and made it to the toilet just in time.  I didn't have to choose, I got to be nauseous and throw up.  I climbed into bed, watched some TV and fell asleep.

The next morning I woke up feeling fabulous!  Turns out it wasn't morning sickness at all, it was a stomach bug that came and went in 24 hours...and oh dummy me, I had rallied, and looked on the bright side and eaten an apple and gone for a walk...and it wasn't the pregnancy, it was a virus!!!  Moral of the story: Sometimes the pregnant woman knows best!

Your ever experienced,
Alfie Toner

P.S. I still eat apples, unlike raisinettes - but that's a story for another post.

No comments: